Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day Five/Six (weekends don't count)



Alright- so sorry I've been MIA on the blog.  It was the weekend and...that is my one excuse. 

Much of the work that has been done the last few days has been under the house with the plumbing or finishing up the electricity up in the attic (both places are not intended for me, I have decided- thus, no photographs).  Also, after seeing the elderly gentlemen (the electrician) do a fanny-plant off of the attic ladder, I am not so inclined to climb up there myself.  

We have, however, picked a piece of granite for the countertops, tiles for the floor, tiles for the shower, faucets, and the handles for the cabinets.  I would post a picture of these separately, but I think I would rather wait until we have a finished project.  We have chosen a slate-type tile for the floor, and river rock brown tiles for the shower. Very spa-ish and natural.  All of the accoutrements are brushed nickel. 

Today, they finally started sheetrocking the bathroom and we have the semblance of a shower area. One of the contractors brings his two oldest boys (maybe 8 and 10) to help him (child labor laws?)- I bring them candy bars every time I return from an errand.  This is so they do what they are supposed to do with the cement and other permanent materials.  Yes. Teaching has completely taught me that children can be bought with food. 

Here is a view of the bathroom. You cannot see into the shower, which means- half of a wall is up!

A view of the shower. That is a wooden bench so that there is a place to put my foot- lest I turn hippy french. 

This is the new exhaust fan/light/heater.  I took a picture of it because it is so much nicer than the previous one- and it blows HEAT (on purpose!) Quite exciting. 



Now. That is it for the bathroom.  They are to finish the sheetrocking tomorrow, and then they will start on the tile.  Needless to say, the pictures should start getting exponentially more exciting over the next several days.  

In the meantime, I will show you some more of our changes, if that is okay with you. 

The Den
 Oh man. The den.  The den, the den, the den. To get us started: 

please take note of the carpet. 


ooh. glimpse of old kitchen too!

The room had just a few issues for us: 1. the carpet. old and dark. 2. the ceiling fan with no light. old and dark.  3. the bookcases and trim. old and dark. 

We had picked out a carpet several weeks before closing, and scheduled to have it installed the two days after closing.  This meant that we wanted to tear up the old carpet and paint the baseboards and woodwork before the carpet (and our furniture) arrived in the room.  

The carpet was awful- we determined that it had been there since BEFORE the previous owners moved in (clue number one? pet stains...pets that the previous owners did not have)- and I am pretty sure we inhaled toxic somethings when we tore it out.  We then stayed up all night to finish the painting before the installers arrived the next morning. 

A few after pictures: 





Oh and here is a picture of Ellie: 


In our next episode, she will give you a tour of her backyard.  There have been a few changes back there as well!


 

4 comments:

  1. Finally!!! I thought perhaps you had forgotten us out here in cyberspace! Looking betta and betta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot you've done in such a short period of time! Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your living room. So cozy and bright!

    ReplyDelete